Web Excursions are select bookmarks from my travels around the interwebs, because I'm always thinking about you while discovering other people's cool stuff. You mean that much to me. You can see all of my (public) bookmarks on Pinboard, and visit the bookmarks archive for curated lists across the last few years.
Web excursions brought to you in partnership with CleanMyMac X, all the tools to speed up your Mac, in one app.
A special “Mavericks Day 1” edition, consisting of a few tricks and pitfalls I’ve discovered now that I’ve put Mavericks on my main work machine.
- Mavericks: The Review
- Helluva writeup on Mavericks from Stephen Hackett.
- Mail in Mavericks Changes the Gmail Equation
- Important information if you ever got your GMail account functioning “just perfect” in Mail.app. You’ll need to make some changes.
- Hazel 3.2 Release Notes
- Hazel 3.2 is out and includes actions for Mavericks tags, among other enhancements.
- Code Signing and Mavericks
- This post from Craig Hockenberry saved me a ton of trouble today. If you’re writing Mac Apps, you’ll probably want this sooner than later.
- OS X Mavericks video tip: Using Automator and Speakable Items to control your Mac by voice
- Awesome super double plus good fun times (which I’m going to assign as a keyword for something).
- The AppleScript “display notification” Command
- I wish this had more options for replacing, removing and adding click urls. I’ll keep using Growl for now.
Some random notes
One “trick” I noticed last night: if you pull back in the middle of a 4-finger pinch-out when showing your Desktop, you can “scratch” the window animations. It works for Launchpad, too, which is even less useful.
Mavericks tags are turning out to be fun, as I’d hoped. I used my Pinboard/OpenMeta script and a handy OpenMeta → Mavericks script to put Mavericks tags on my entire Pinboard collection, just to do some mass experimenting. Worked perfectly.
And one extra link, because it was hanging around:
- Mohiomap - A Visual Memory for Evernote
- Interesting mind map visualization of Evernote notebooks. Useful? Unsure.