Web Excursions are select bookmarks from my travels around the interwebs, because I'm always thinking about you while discovering other people's cool stuff. You mean that much to me. You can see all of my (public) bookmarks on Pinboard, and visit the bookmarks archive for curated lists across the last few years.
Web excursions brought to you in partnership with CleanMyMac X, all the tools to speed up your Mac, in one app.
- BFG Repo-Cleaner
- A simpler, faster alternative to git-filter-branch for deleting big files and removing passwords from Git history. I shrunk a 2GB repo to 800 MB in under 10 minutes with this tool. Handy.
- Browser extension to auto close tabs left open by zoom meeting application. Works as advertised.
- Workona for iPad
- Workona is the browser extension (Chrome, Firefox, Edge) I wouldn’t want to be without (I’m still hoping for a Safari version). They now have an iPad app that lets you access all of your workspaces and open tabs from the iPad, and you can add a tab or resource to a workspace from the iOS share button. Very handy. Hope it’s eventually available for iPhone as well…
- Between adding this bookmark to the excursion and actually publishing it, Workona has finally started charging for their more “premium” features. Insta-subscribe for me, and hopefully indicates some longevity.
- There are a bunch of tools for colorizing command line output/log files. This one took the least amount of my day to get it working perfectly with custom log output using a few regular expressions in an easy-to-grok settings file. A++.
- Acquiring A Product: Our Kaleidoscope Journey
- I’m super excited about the future of what I consider to be the hands-down best Mac diff tool. Newly under the stewardship of some excellent indie mac devs, version 3 is a massive improvement that represents a ton of hard work. Here’s some background on their acquisition of this great app, and a bit of its storied history.