Thanks to Kaleidoscope for sponsoring BrettTerpstra.com this week! This app just keeps getting better. If you have any need for comparing files (especially if you code and do Git merges), it can’t be beat.
Review versions of text and image files—and even folders full of files—with the world’s most powerful file comparison app. Kaleidoscope gives you powerful tools to use at each stage of the development cycle.
The brand new Kaleidoscope 4.3 continues to innovate by improving the previously introduced Git Merge Context Shelf and Git File History. Kaleidoscope now also detects file renames and shows branch names. When used with a service such as GitHub, GitLab or Bitbucket, Kaleidoscope now supports jumping to commits, branches, and tickets referenced in commit messages. And it beautifully renders Markdown content in commit messages, which makes browsing and comparing commits so much nicer.
Here are some of the features we added in Kaleidoscope 4:
- Syntax coloring, with multiple built-in themes.
- Transform any comparison into a merge document that can be edited inline.
- Text filters to clean up diffs by removing irrelevant data, such as time stamps, object addresses and unique identifiers.
- Kaleidoscope Prism, a new helper app in the menu bar to quickly launch comparisons even if Kaleidoscope is not running.
- Debugger integration for Python developers.
- File properties show metadata, including size, file type, dates, and encoding.
- A welcome window that speeds up the processes of creating new comparisons or finding recent ones.
Subscriptions start at $8 per month for a yearly plan. Use the coupon code
TERPSTRA (valid until December 31, 2023) to get 20% off for the first year. As a student or teacher, the price is reduced even further.