Web Excursions are select bookmarks from my travels around the interwebs, because I'm always thinking about you while discovering other people's cool stuff. You mean that much to me. You can see all of my (public) bookmarks on Pinboard, and visit the bookmarks archive for curated lists across the last few years.
Web excursions brought to you in partnership with Setapp. Get access to hundreds of Mac and iOS apps for one low monthly subscription fee.
- Quartz - News in a whole new way
- An interesting take on the news as a text-based conversation.
- A Day at the Stupid Hackathon 2016
- A piece from Popular Mechanics about the Stupid Hackathon, which might be the first hackathon I’ve ever wished I’d attended.
[Instead] of self-seriously creating nothing out of something, these hackers are flipping the recipe on its head–they celebrate the nothing, creating a something that is stupidly brilliant.
- gabriel-john/utterson: A Jekyll web backend
- A web interface for Jekyll blog management. It would take some hacking to work with my current incarnation of Jekyll, but it’s a good start.
- Sparkle Updater Framework HTTP man-in-the-middle vulnerability
- An obvious (in retrospect) vulnerability in apps that use Sparkle for automatic updates (most apps outside of the MAS). The fix is pretty easy for developers, and as of Marked 2.5.4 (which is available now) all of the updates and release notes are served over HTTPS.
- You can find additional details on the issue at Vulnerable Security.
- Bonsai - Best Freelance Tools
- A nice compilation of tools for freelancers (and devs and designers in general). Project management, accounting, color tools, font collections, and more.
Check out Setapp today and get access to the best Mac and iOS apps out there.