Web Excursions are select bookmarks from my travels around the interwebs, because I'm always thinking about you while discovering other people's cool stuff. You mean that much to me. You can see all of my (public) bookmarks on Pinboard, and visit the bookmarks archive for curated lists across the last few years.
Web excursions brought to you in partnership with MightyDeals.com, featuring great deals on software, training, and design resources.
- Why Learning to Code is So Damn Hard
- I started my code journey very young and this arc was spread over 30 years for me, but it’s an accurate description of the learning curve when getting into software development.
- Appendix: Google’s website crawlers
- Did you know you can specifically address Google crawlers with
googlebotmeta tags and element classes? I didn’t.
- .bashrc generator
- Via OneThingWell, a drag and drop tool to generate your custom Bash prompt.
- Stupid Tricks with Promoted Tweets
- I love Andy Baio’s mind sometimes. Some creative uses for a Twitter feature you’d probably rather didn’t exist.
- Edit Droplr Notes Online
- This is great. Too often I’ve had to let a mistake slide in a note I pushed to Twitter, or had to create multiple notes because I didn’t catch an error before sending. Droplr continues to be my file/link/note sharing service of choice.
And in case you didn’t know, creating a Droplr note lets you choose a type: “Code” gets highlighted, “Markdown” gets rendered, and “Plain text” gets left alone.